To teach players to be alert, to be aware of their surroundings, and to prepare to play a blocked attack.
- Set-up 6 players on one side of the court.
- Set-up 3 coaches or players on the opposite side in blocking positions.
- Have each one stand on a stool or chair with players on the side to hand them balls.
How it Works
- To start the drill a coach or player will send or toss a free ball to the 6 players on the other side of the net.
- The players will receive the ball and turn it into a play and attack it over the net.
- The back row needs to make sure they rotate to ‘cover their hitter’.
- Once the ball clears the net, the blocking coach on the stool will throw a ball down at the defenders (simulating a blocked ball).
- The team will then try and form a play and get an attack off a blocked ball.
- Continue this so that each group of 6 gets the chance to complete this at least 8-10 times.
- Make sure that all of the players know where they are supposed to be standing when covering a hitter.
- Play this drill until the players are all continuously going to the right positions and are consistently making a play off the ball.