The 3 on 3 tactics drill’s focus is get- ting players comfortable attacking
from their base position, working and communicating together as a unit in a competitive environment.
- 8 players will start on the court – a setter on each side, along with three hitters.
- A coach will stand by the left sideline with a ball rack.
- The coach will lob a serve over to the near side of the court.
- The team will then work to pass to the setter and hit off the set.
- The defense will attempt to return the ball, working on the same tactics.
- Winner of the point moves over to the far side of the court, with the next
group of 3 coming in on the near side.
- Coach will throw in another serve to the near side and continue the drill.
- Outside hitters base position is behind the attack line by the sideline,
with the middle back in the center of the court.
• This position allows them to be ready for any dumps offs from the setter.
• Winners will always move to the far side, with a group securing the win on the drill if they get 3 points in a row.
• To make the drill more difficult, set it up so a point can only be award to your team if you’ve touched the ball.