To force servers and receivers to challenge each other and perfect their technique used to perform each skill.
- Set-up 3 players in back row positions on one side of the court
- Set-up 1 player as a Target in the setter position
- Have the remaining players form one line of Servers on the opposite side of the court
- Each Server needs 1 ball
How it Works
- On the command SET GO, the Servers will take turns serving balls across the net.
- The back row players will try and receive the serve and pass it to the Target.
- Out of every 5 in-bound serves they must get 3 to the Target.
- If they don’t, then that back row group comes off the court and does a punishment and a new group comes on.
- If they succeed, then all of the Servers must do a punishment (e.g. lines, pushups, etc.).
- In this drill servers are expected to try and serve aggressively, therefore do not punish them for missed serves.
- Choose a punishment that your team dislikes but does not take a lot of time: 10 push-ups, 10 tuck jumps, a sprint, etc.
- This drill helps reinforce to players that they must challenge one another in order to improve; this is why both servers and defenders will be punished for failing to succeed.