A great exercise to help players to continue to working on the technique of hitting the ball down.
- Set-up 3-4 lines across the net
- Assign one coach or player to each line
- 6-12 tennis balls
How it Works
- On the whistle, the first Attacker in each line will step to the attack line.
- The coach or player will hand them a tennis ball.
- The Attacker will then start their standard approach to the net.
- Once the Attacker jumps in the air they must throw the tennis ball (simulating the motion of hitting a volleyball).
- Have the Attacker chase down their tennis ball and then get in the back of the line.
- Make sure each player gets 3-5 chances to complete a throw.
- Remind players to pick their spots on the court when throwing the tennis ball to make this as close to a hitting simulation as possible.
- Proper technique for hitting/throwing should be to bring the ball back, keep their elbows high, and on the follow through, they need to snap the wrist and drive the ball down.