This drill will help players learn the proper place to set up blocks when a player approaches to attack.
- Divide the your players into groups of 3
- Designate 1 group to be Hitters
- Designate 1 group to be Blockers
- A coach will stand at the net with their back to the Blockers, facing the Hitters
- The coach will point to a Hitter.
- That Hitter will quickly approach the net.
- The Blockers must slide into position and jump up in the blocking action.
- Then the coach will immediately point to another Hitter and continue to do so in a continuous fashion.
- Rotate Hitters to Blockers, Blockers out, and a new group of 3 to Hitters.
- This is a great way to help teach your players to slide together along the net in order to make the right block.
- It also enhances proper movement and footwork to get into position for the block.
- You don’t need a ball in this drill, the goal is to help enforce quick reactionary movements by blockers so that they get into the right position.