This drill will drive home the importance of making a good pass to the setter and getting into your offense.
- 8 players will start on the court – 4 on each side, 1 setter and 3 hitters in position to return the serve
- A 5th player on each side will start next to he ball rack on the baseline, ready to serve
- The rest of the players will form a line on the baseline
How it Works
- The server will serve a ball to the defense, who must then make a pass to the setter.
- The setter will then attempt to make a perfect set to the coach standing at the net – if successful, the team will receive +1.
- The server on the other side of the court will serve to the other team, with them attempting to do the same thing as well.
- The drill will continue until we reach a score of +20.
- Each time a passer returns a serve, they sub out and the next person in line comes in to replace them.
- The server will continue to serve until they serve two balls inbounds in a row, to give them a little pressure in this drill as well.
- Remind the defenders not to swing their arms – let the ball bounce off, it has enough speed already on the serve.
- If players are having too much difficulty returning the serves, we can make the drill a little easier by having the ball thrown in instead.