This drill is designed to keep players on their toes and make them work for the extra passes.
- Have your players line up in single file line near the back of the court.
- The coach will start mid net with as many balls as possible.
How it Works
- One player steps out of the line towards the coach in a ready athletic position.
- The coach will toss, hit, or throw a series of balls to the player with different speeds, distances, and spins.
- The player must react and return each one hitting it towards the coach or the net.
- Example: a) The coach sets the ball to the player, the player bumps it back b) The coach does a hard hit to one side, the player must run to hit and return it with a dig c) The coach tosses a short tip pass, the player will need to dive to keep it in play.
- The player tries to get as many consecutive passes as possible, once they miss a hit, the next player in line starts.
- With repetition and practice this will help players develop greater control and quickness when moving the ball.
- If you have additional coaches or assistant you can create multiple groups and lines to give each player more touches.
- Once players master this, you can even pair them up and have them do this with a partner.