To help attackers learn how to read the defense and recognize where to hit the ball.
- Set-up 6 players on defense on one side of the court
- Divide the remaining players into two lines of Attackers
- A coach near the net on the Attackers side with a basket of balls
- The coach tosses the ball into the air to one line of Attackers.
- The first Attacker in line will approach the net, read the defense, and complete a hit.
- The defense will not try to return the ball but will move around setting different blocks to act as a deterrent to the attacker.
- You can keep this continuous so that each attacking line moves quickly.
- Allow each player to get at least 5 attacks at the net.
- When the player approaches and hits the ball, they need to try and hit areas where the defenders are not.
- This is an accuracy drill, you can switch the defensive formations up to make it more difficult.
- As your players practice this they will be able to read different defenses and they will be much more adept at finding holes in the defense.