To encourage players to tip the ball to certain uncovered areas of the court.
- Place baskets (clothes baskets work) inside the four corners of the attack lines.
- Divide your team into two lines of Attackers.
- Place one coach near the net with each line.
- The coaches will toss a ball up to each of their lines.
- The first Attacker will approach the net and tip the ball into one of the baskets on the other side of the court.
- If they make it into the basket they get a point.
- The player with the most points is rewarded with fewer lines or whatever else you desire.
- The tip is an important skill to learn, as it throws the defense into a spin when they are guessing what is coming at them.
- To increase the difficulty and effectiveness of this drill you can add a blocker so that the attacker has to react to where the blocker goes and/or you can add the option to hit instead of tip the ball.