To help teach players the importance of angling their blocks to the inside of the court. This drill is designed to help your players identify which side they should be blocking on at the net To help teach players the importance of angling their blocks to the inside of the court.
- Divide the your players into groups of 3
- Designate 1 group to be Hitters
- Designate 1 group to be Blockers
- One coach with the ball will be on the same side of the court with Hitters
How it Works
- The coach will huddle with the Hitters and decide which one of the Hitters is going to attack.
- The coach will shout out BUMP, SET, and then the chosen Hitter will approach the net.
- The Blockers must get into the proper position to defend the phantom hit.
- Once players are comfortable with getting into the right position, the coach can stand at the net and toss a ball up to the Hitter.
- Give each group 3-5 times with the ball and without it.
- Rotate Hitters to Blockers and a new group of 3 as Hitters.
- As you focus on this drill in practice, your players will develop better reaction skills and will recognize blocking situations much easier.
- Watch for the proper penetration, the right angle and timing of the hit, and the right positioning, timing and angle of the subsequent block.