This drill is designed to be a quick tool that forces players to get into position in three separate places on the court.
- Divide your players into two groups.
- Place one group on each side of the court.
- A coach or player will be positioned at the net.
- Give each coach 3-5 ball.
- The coach or player at the net will toss a high ball (simulating a serve) to the back right.
- The first player in line will receive the ball returning it back to the net with a bump pass.
- The coach will then toss a short ball (simulating a tip) towards the middle of the attack line.
- The player must run into position and make a good pass back to the coach.
- The coach will then place a final straight ball toss (simulating a deep bump or set) to the back left corner.
- The player will finish the drill by running into position and making a good return pass in the back left corner.
- Players will improve footwork, quickness and their ability to react and get into position to make a good pass.
- Complete this at half speed so that players get a feel for the positions and then speed it up.