This is a drill where players get to work on both timing and footwork when
- Defensive players will form a line in the middle of the far side of the court, just behind the attack line
- Offensive players will form a line where the attack line and left sideline meet
- One defensive player will start in front of the net
- With defensive player #2 already in position, defensive player #1 will step up to the net, the step over next to their teammate.
- The offensive player will take his approach step and jump as if spiking
- The defensive players will jump in unison, hands high attempting to block.
- The offensive player and defensive player #2 will go to the back off the
- Defensive player #1 will start at the net, and the drill will continue with the next players in line.
- Before working this up to a 3 player drill, start with a single player just working on the step and block footwork.
- That footwork is as follows: start with the outside foot, step to the outside, then crossover step, plant, and go up.
- Next we will add in outside blocker, giving players a chance to work on timing their jumps and blocking in unison with a teammate.
- Blockers should communicate – calling out 1-2 up on their steps and jump.
- The final phase of this drill is to add in an attacker, now forcing the blockers to adjust to the attackers approach and get in the correct position.